FAQ's -  Answers to your questions

Below we provide some answers to help you understand the EWS1 process, when you need to obtain one and what to do.

Frequently asked questions

What is an EWS1 Form?

The EWS1 form was introduced to help those valuing residential property to record the risk posed by the external wall construction of certain buildings, e.g. where the highest floor is 18 metres or above or where specific concerns exist

How can I obtain an EWS1 Form?

The first step is for a suitably qualified professional to carry out an inspection of the building to confirm if the building requires an EWS1 form following which it may be necessary to have a fully intrusive inspection undertaken which may involve an intrusive inspection of the external through wall structure, from these findings the Surveyor will establish whether there is or is not a higher risk of fire spreading due to cladding or comusitble materials wihtin or on the wall.

How much does an EWS1 form cost?

The cost is dependent upon a variety of factors, including location, building size and height, complexity of construction, access restrictions, number of different types of cladding and other factors. To obtain a quotatin, simply get in touch and we'lll provide you with our quote.

Why would I need an intrustive inspection?

Should the Surveyor decide that there is a reasonable risk of combusitible materials being present, then they may need to investigate further including potentially having to take samples and have those tested in a Laboratory. Furthermore, in some buildings, there are fire barriers built within the wall structure and as such are only visible with exposure works.

Who pays for the EWS1 form?

The form relates to the 'whole building' and as such the person deemed to be the 'Responsible Person' would be responsible for commissioning the EWS1 form, this may be the Building Owner, The Building Manager. The costs may, however, be transferred to individual flat owners via the Service or other charges, this aspect is likely dependent upon the terms of the lease.

My building is less than 18 metres high, why do I still need and EWS1 form?

The form is required not only in respect of cladding materials on or within the walls, but other factors including balconies, cavity insulation, etc... may require consideration. In addition a Mortgage Lender may wish to know that their investment is secure, as such knowing the make-up of the walsl and/or cladding forms part of their lending decision.

What happens if the building requires works to comply.

If the Surveyor suspects that works are required, then they will most likely discuss this with the Fire Engineer/Fire Risk Consultant appointed by the Responsible Person to ascertain next steps, which may include remidetiation works to ensure compliance.